Friday, May 20, 2011

You Highness.


We went to see Your Highness last weekend. I had it in my mind that the film would be one similar to Stardust (2007); fun, adventurous and a bit more of a modern and adult fairytale. The trailer looked fun enough!
And with leads including Natalie Portman, Zooey Deschanel and James Franco, I was really looking forward to it. Danny McBride (the main character, Thadeous) is apparently a comedian, but I don't know anything about him beyond this movie.


While it did have some funny bits, the film did not fulfill my expectations. At all. For starters, it's a stoner film. The humour delivered was more of the crude teenage boy variety for the most part. I was hoping for quirky, harmless laughs and a few jeers at the fantasy genre. Occasionally they were there, but most of the time they were not.


Sometimes the pace of the film felt slow, and the pinnacle of the film (fighting the bad guy, as always) wasn't as tremendous as I felt it should have been. I like the modern language and such with the medieval costumes and fairytale nature of the story, but it became a little lazy at times too.


Beyond that, Isabel (Natalie Portman) was wayyy out of Thadeous' (Danny McBride) league. The cast seemed to clunk and clash rather than gel together smoothly. I love Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel, but they are both too good for this movie. James Franco is a bit of goofy fun, so he can stick around, but the leading ladies weren't right.


On the positive side? James Franco looked good. As did Natalie Portman. Courtney (Rasmus Hardiker, above left) was my favourite for a laugh.

Maybe if I went in with different expectations I would have enjoyed it more? I'm not sure. Wait to see it on DVD. Even then, rent it. Only if you really really really want to see it.


Your Highness = Stoner film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...