Monday, April 25, 2011

Lest we forget.


When researching wars of the past, it is always the letters home that capture me. The individual journeys through battle, fear and love. Their stories are unbelievable. Heartbreaking too. You read them desperately hoping they made it out alive; that they could return to the warm arms of their homes. Not all do.


For the full letter, click here.

This is a love letter written to an unknown ANZAC soldier by a Frenchwoman, Marthe Gylbert, on 25 August 1918.

My Darling Little Sweetheart, Just few lines hoping that my letter find you in the best of Health. I am very well myself at present and my family the same.

Well Lovey, you see I am faithfully thinking of you not too one else only to you. You know I love you very well my Little Husband. I am never love any body else. if you [illegible, probably 'get'] killed I stay every time with my little Baby. if you give me one. I hope to see you very soon. Darling I Dream about you last night I see you married with one else. I don’t thing you [illegible - looks like 'daw date'.]

So will close now with the best Remembrance from all my family and me. Best Love and Kisses XXX from your ever Loving Little Sweetheart. Wife to be very soon.

Martha Gylbert



We don't know what happened to this soldier.

He was loved though. I think that's important to remember. That every soldier was and is still loved by at least someone. They are human, like us.



They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...