Monday, March 14, 2011

Thoroughly Modern Millie



This is, hands down, no questions asked, my favourite film. And unfortunately one that not many people know about. My grandma introduced it to me as her favourite about five years ago now. Whenever I'm feeling down, this is the movie that will instantly cheer me up.


Millie (Julie Andrews) is a Modern. Determined to marry her boss, she has tossed her cares and curls away in 1922 New York. She quickly befriends Miss Dorothy (Mary Tyler Moore), a wealthy girl who is all alone in the world hoping to become an actress.


They meet Jimmy (James Fox) at the friendship dance where he whips out some wicked moves in the Tapeoka. This bit alone is why I love the movie so much :) Video here.


And although Millie is wooed by Jimmy, she is still determined to marry her boss. Whoever that may be. After all, Jimmy only works with paperclips.


Millie hits the jackpot in her search for the perfect boss/husband: Trevor Graydon (John Gavin).


Before being whisked off to a weekend away with Jimmy and Miss Dorothy to meet Muzzy (Carol Channing) and love advice.


No story is complete without The Bad Guy. Meet Mrs. Meers (Beatrice Lillie). Sad to be all alone in the world, isn't it?



Along the way you get some awesome costumes. For example:



Another outfit I wish I could wear to the office...



Some cute bits:



And an elevator that requires dancing...


Really, what's not to like?

2 comments:

  1. you always leave me wanting to see the movies you recommend and so I had to get my hands on this one. I LOVED it. Lots of fun. I especially loved Carol Channing in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Fantastic! I love spreading the Thoroughly Modern Millie love around! :D :D :D It's giggling giddy fun!

    I'm so glad you liked it! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...