Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Tudors


I have quickly become addicted to this show. Never before have I become so addicted to a television show that I have gone out and purchased the DVDs. Normally, for me, watching the one episode once is enough for me. Otherwise my sister borrows the DVDs from her friends and we watch them together (The Hills, Gossip Girl) or I borrow them off my friends (Gilmore Girls <3). Generally speaking, I'm a movie kinda girl. My sister on the other hand is addicted to tv shows and rarely wants to watch a movie and prefers to watch zillions of episodes in a row.

Anyway, so out of the kindness of my heart I've lent my copy of Season 1 to a lovely friend. Problem is, I've been having withdrawal issues. I pretty much sucked the juice dry out of Season 1. I would watch every episode twice before moving onto the next one. I would try to ration out my viewing. I watched the season over and over and over. I love the dialogue, the historical accuracy and hints and allusions to well-known facts at the time (for instance, in one episode Henry asks Boleyn's father if the King of France has nice thighs like Henry because back in the day, thighs were the sexiest part of a man's body and a good way to determine how masculine he was, and naturally King Henry VIII was well-known for his beautiful thighs), I love all the actresses and actors, I even love the historical inaccuracies. The costumes, the sets, the music, I love it all!



Natalie Dormer is a fantastic intelligent, sexy and manipulative Anne Boleyn. I like that they have a spunky actor (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) playing King Henry, rather than someone dressed up in a fat suit. Instead of being focused on how disgusting Henry is/was, we're allowed to be attached, and feel for him and understand where he is coming from. He is no longer a hideous monster of fat and diseased wounds. Maria Doyle Kennedy is fantastic as Catherine of Aragon, a strong and beautiful woman dedicated to her faith.

And Charles Brandon? *drools* Hello Henry Cavill!


So now I'm off to watch, absorb and love Season 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...