Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pride and Prejudice vs. Pride and Prejudice

I finally gave in and watched Keira Knightley's Pride and Prejudice after being a long and dedicated fan of the BBC series.



I mean, truly, who could ever play a better Mr. Darcy than Colin Firth?? And I love Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennett - she is simply gorgeous! Plus the gorgeous costumes they have, and how I love Mr. Bennett! Keira Knightley on the other hand, for me at least, isn't the most expressive actress (despite my love for The Duchess, in which I think she is great in). She always comes across as bit of a cardboard cut out for me, which is a shame because she is gorgeous. So I was very doubtful about this movie version. I thought perhaps watching it would ruin Pride and Prejudice for me, and so I just kept delaying it for as long as possible, until I finally heard a good review of it and gave in.




The locations they film at a beautiful and absolutely stunning. I preferred the new Jane (Rosamund Pike)and Mr. Wickham (Rupert Friend) and enjoyed the new Caroline Bingley (Kelly Reilly). The US and British endings were equally as terrible as each other and most of it failed to compare with the BBC version. The locations truly were one of the only reasons I stayed tuned in. I adored the 'Temple of Apollo' where Mr. Darcy admitted his love for Elizabeth, but it wasn't the right place for that moment.




The one thing and only thing in this movie version that I love more than in the BBC version is Lady Catherine de Bourg. Judi Dench was absolutely perfectly spot on. She was the highlight of the whole show.




Veredict: The BBC, Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle will always win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...